GUIDELINES, STUDENT SERVICE FEE COMMITTEE (18.4.7)
Purpose and Responsibility:
To act as an advisory group to the Vice President for Student Development in the budgeting of student service fees and, in that capacity, to recommend the allocation of funds to best serve the needs of the largest number of students. Confidential discussions within this committee shall not be disclosed without the stated approval of the whole committee or unless authorized by law. Members shall not speak for this committee without the prior approval of the committee.
1. The committee will delineate a procedure for seeking information about funding needs of University agencies and student programs, will suggest criteria and educational objectives to be achieved by programs to which funds are allocated, and may hold hearings for agencies and student programs requesting funds.
2. The committee will recommend to the Vice President, for inclusion in the University budget, a budget for the allocation of the Student Service Fee.
3. The committee, upon request of the Vice President, will make recommendations upon other student fees and assessments.
Chairman: President of the Student Government Association
Five (5) students, one (1) who should be the Student Government Association (SGA) Budget Officer or appointee and one (1) who should be a graduate student. The SGA president, to the extent possible, will appoint a diverse group of students to the committee. Students selected by the SGA President are to be approved by the Dean of Students.
Three (3) university staff members, one (1) each from the division of Fiscal Affairs, Student Affairs, and Academic Affairs, to be appointed by the Vice President of each division.
One (1) faculty member selected by the Faculty Senate.
1. The President of the University shall review previous budgets and point out ideas, preferences and limitations which will be transmitted to the committee through the Vice President.
2. The President of the University will take the initiative to keep the committee informed, through the Vice President, on resolutions passed by the Board of Regents and on legislation which will affect the level of student service fees.
3. The Vice President will initiate an orientation and will be available to meet with the committee as needed to assist with advice and information. The Vice President will attempt to convey the President's interests and concerns.
4. The Secretary of the committee, who shall be appointed by the Vice President, will have the responsibility of making the budget forms and other information available to the requesting units as soon as possible in the Fall Semester.
5. The official records of all proceedings of the committee will be retained by the Secretary of the committee in the office of the Vice President.
6. The committee, will upon receiving a budget request from each budget unit funded from student service fees, attempt to ascertain the most feasible level of funding for the unit. Deliberations of the committee will take place in closed meetings; hearings for the various agencies may take place in accordance with procedures established by the committee.
7. The committee may recommend the establishment of ad hoc or sub- committees to assist in analysis of requests for funds. To expedite the committee's business, hearings may be held by as few as four (4) voting members but voting on request may only be done by a quorum of the full committee. All committee members shall be notified of the date, time and location prior to any hearings on funding requests.
8. The committee will make a written report of its recommendations to the Vice President.
9. The Vice President will inform the Committee of the approved funding amounts before forwarding the budget recommendations through administrative channels.
10. The Vice President's recommendations for allocation of student service fees will be forwarded to the Board of Regents through the normal administrative process.
11. Changes in the composition, procedure and responsibility of the committee must be submitted through the Vice President, for approval by the President of the University.
Reviewed and approved by President Norval Pohl, 2/02